Family > Cohabitation > Cohabitation contract
NetherlandsLast modified: December 15, 2011
People who are living together and are not married can draft a cohabitation contract. They can draft this contract themselves, or with the support of a civil notary. The latter is needed for certain arrangements like for pension rights of partners, etc.
In a cohabitation contract issues can be arranged for during the cohabitation but also for the event the relationship and thus cohabitation ends, like:
- Who pays which costs?
- What costs are paid jointly?
- Who contributes how much to the household spendings?
- Who can use which bank account?
- How will properties be divided in case of splitting up?
- Who can stay in the house when the relationship would end?
by Jin Ho Verdonschot on December 15, 2011