LAF : Legal Aid Forum Rwanda
A Rwanda where the indigent and vulnerable groups have equitable access to justice.
To promote and support the provision of accessible and quality legal aid services.
In order to achieve its Vision and Mission, the Forum is guided by the following core values:
- Respect people in their diversities;
- Accountability and transparency;
- The best interests of our member organizations.
The Legal Aid Forum is a membership based network encompassing thirty three (33) organisations that provide legal aid services to the indigent Rwandan population or vulnerable groups, or that provide support to legal aid service providers in Rwanda. These organisations are categorised as follows:
- 21 National NGOs/Trade Unions and 6 International NGOs / Organisations;
- The Bar Association & The Corps of Judicial Defenders;
- 4 Universities (Legal Aid Clinics).
The Forum is governed by its Statutes adopted on 12 May 2009 by the members, amending the initial Charter adopted on 26 October 2006. A Steering Committee of nine (9) representative organisations was elected with a mandate of two years; INILAK/ Legal Aid Clinic, Chair and FACT Rwanda, Deputy Chair from 2009.